[vlc-devel] Another stutter issue

Laurent Aimar fenrir at elivagar.org
Sat Mar 5 20:35:44 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 09:21:09PM +0200, Juha Jeronen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/05/2011 07:19 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > Le samedi 5 mars 2011 19:11:59 Juha Jeronen, vous avez écrit :
> >> a) Maybe the processing chain is not aligned to vsync?
 In the current state, VLC plays the video with its clock locked on the
system clock or the source clock.
 So, when the video output uses vsync, you don't have tearing BUT you
can have suttering as some times a frame will be displayed a bit
longer or shorter (or even skipped when the fps ~ lcd refresh rate).
 Ideally when the source can be read at the speed we want, we should synch
either to the sound card (no audio resampling) or the video display (no
sutter). But sadlly not to both...

--
fenrir