[vlc-devel] IPTV Unicast

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Mar 8 15:03:11 CET 2011

   Hello,

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 11:53:16 +0100, cherqui nawfal
<nawfalcherqui at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I would like to know the feasibility of implementing a solution of an
IPTV
> in unicast here is the problem,
>
> I have 300 mbps from the server and i want to deliver 8 channels , and i
> dont have lot of clients arout 30.
> My problem is :In some POPs, their is just one client connected, and who
> had 30 Mbps for example. And the rate correspending sent to the DSLAM is
> 300 since i am using multicast

This would only happen if the user subscribed to all streams, or if you
did not configure multicast routing in a sane way.

> Can some one tell me if it s a good idea or no.
> btw i willing to implement an  open source solution.

In principles, you can use the VLC RTP output in RTSP mode here. But
multicasting seems like a far superior solution to me.

http://www.remlab.net/