[vlc-devel] Slight timing regression, still

Juha Jeronen juha.jeronen at jyu.fi
Wed Mar 16 22:48:35 CET 2011

Hi all,

After the ecc645ccce... bugfix, I'm still seeing slightly more uneven
timing when compared to 3f50c72... from January.

Consequently, Phosphor (and also Bob) doesn't work as well as it used
to. Instead of glitching a few times per hour as before (which I suspect
might be due to the clock source), I'm now getting a few glitches per
minute. My observations so far are that it doesn't always occur at the
same position in the stream, and it occurs more often for DVD images
than "pure" video files (e.g. extracted test clips).

I suspect the problem is probably due to some other change in
81f8f88d654bc5... that wasn't undone by ecc645ccce..., but I'm not
certain about that. In any case, it's caused by something between
3f50c72... and ecc645ccce...

I will try to track it down. This requires a git bisect with a re-apply
of Phosphor at every step (for testing), and additionally a re-apply of
the diff from ecc645ccce... for every step that is 81f8f88... or later
(to rule out the bug introduced in 81f8f88... and fixed in ecc645ccce...).

I'm planning to have the time to do this either tomorrow, or early next
week. I'll post the results when I'm done.

 -J