[vlc-devel] Android: Installation location, memory leak, vout background

Rohit Yadav rohityadav89 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 09:12:02 CET 2011

Hi,

This patch fixes a potential memory leak when a media is stopped and played
again or a new media is selected and play.
(I don't trust dalvik's GC)

As of current state, when I play a media file, then quit and then reopen
VLC, it would hang, sometimes I see no video.
The problem I think is: even when finish() is called to quit, vlc.android
stays as a process, so because it's not cleaning up, restarting it causes
issues.

If LibVlc/VLC were a service, it would run in background, and I could still
hear music when I goto for ex. on home screen, as opposed to it being an
activity which pauses when I switch to home screen. So I'm proposing, LibVlc
to run as a Service and VLC as an Activity/basically the gui, comment?

Best Regards,
Rohit Yadav