[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Qt: menu: move advanced open.

Juha Jeronen juha.jeronen at jyu.fi
Fri Mar 25 14:37:08 CET 2011

Re user feedback...

On 03/25/2011 01:52 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 12:48:05PM +0100, Francois Cartegnie wrote :
>> Copying others is a bad habit.
> Consistent behaviour is good.

Yes please. Consistency is good.

>> Firefox has "Open File" is below "Open new
>> window" and "Open Location", just because it correctly places the most used at
>> top.
> Firefox, and especially FFx4 is not really consistent with other
> software...
>
> But, I see that consistency is not what people care about.

Depends on the person, I suppose...

>> I'll move things around, but some usage stats would be helpful here, and in
>> some other places.
> Oh, yeah... Like in preferences too.

Regarding this, would it be possible to - with the user's permission -
to collect anonymous usage stats about menu items (and e.g. preferences
pages), like Debian does about package usage with their
popularity-contest system?

Or has this been proven a bad idea in other contexts? :)

(Or is it too much work to implement?)

An alternative would be to do surveys periodically e.g. on the website,
but usually people are not very eager to participate in those.

 -J