[vlc-devel] Some information about developer and authors

Thomas Panau thomas at videolan.org
Tue May 3 15:36:10 CEST 2011

Hello !

As you all are developers, you may want some informations about the french "droit d'auteur".

The most important point is : VideoLAN is a french organization, so all the softwares it distributes are under the french law.

In France, neither the copyright nor the patents are applyable to the softwares. They are only ruled by the "droit d'auteur", which is pretty close to the royalty…

All developers (from France or somewhere else) of a software are authors of their pieces of code. Even if it is easier (and more convenient to the users)  to write © VideoLAN, juridically each developer is an author, who can be identified in the source code.
Moreover, the french law doesn't impose any formalism to the authors (except the creation itself) : each piece of code is automatically protected as a creation and owned by its author.

If you need more information, just ask me.

(please excuse my english, I went to french schools)

Thomas