[vlc-devel] Heads up: VLC needs glibc 2.13 or later

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu May 5 21:36:15 CEST 2011

	Hello,

Once again, a GNU/libc bug can kill VLC. This time, it is really freakin'
stupid: glibc < 2.13 marked the memmove() parameters as restricted pointers.
Nevermind that memmove() is The One Typical Example function that MUST NOT
have restricted pointers.

This bug is known to cause VLC to crash at run-time if compiled with
optimization enabled, at least on GCC 4.6 or later. I do realize glibc 2.13 is
very recent and upgrading it is not easy. But there is nothing I can do about
that. As a work-around,  you can also fix your C headers by hand to remove the
bogus __restrict qualifiers from the memmove() declaration.

References can be found here:

http://www.remlab.info/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis