[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Do not pass -mmmx or -msse2 to the compiler

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon May 9 18:28:06 CEST 2011

Le lundi 9 mai 2011 19:09:03 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez écrit :
> On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 06:01:10PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> > On the other hand, it
> > ensures that the plugin descriptor can be run by non-MMX/non-SSE CPUs.
>
> Out of curiosity, do some x86 CPUs actually lack SSE or MMX ?

Currently, MingW32 defaults to i586, which does not have SSE and does not
necessarily have MMX. Debian GCC (preposterously) defaults to i486.

I guess you meant contemporary CPUs. Then I don't know.

On a related note, our build system tunes 386 compilation for Pentium-II by
default. I am not convinced this is the best choice this day and age.

http://www.remlab.info/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis