[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Remove endianess and type sizes from plugin name

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Mon May 9 19:37:16 CEST 2011

On May 9, 2011, at 6:41 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> vlc | branch: master | Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> | Mon May  9 19:38:55 2011 +0300| [55003f1d21c18e0de23f8da363b8c2a02e53240b] | committer: Rémi Denis-Courmont
>
> Remove endianess and type sizes from plugin name
>
> On the one hand, plugins from different architectures cannot be mixed
> in the same installation directory as they have the same names.

Regrettably, I have to disagree here. On Mac (I know that you love that platform..), we have plugins for up to 3 different architectures in the same installation directory. This isn't a problem so far, as plugin files with the same name include the code for all platforms. (lipo..)
However, as far as I know, it is impossible to merge the plugin cache of 3 architectures in a single file, so for me, it is absolutely necessary to keep the arch's name in the plugin cache's name, at least in a #ifdef __APPLE__ or something.

Best regards,

Felix