[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Remove endianess and type sizes from plugin name

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon May 9 22:29:30 CEST 2011

Le lundi 9 mai 2011 23:00:29 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez écrit :
> On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 08:09:17PM +0200, Felix Paul Kühne wrote :
> >  /* Cache filename */
> >
> > +#ifndef __APPLE__
> >
> >  #define CACHE_NAME "plugins.dat"
> >
> > +#else
> > +#ifdef __x86_64__
> > +#define CACHE_NAME "plugins-x86_64.dat"
> > +#elif __i386__
> > +#define CACHE_NAME "plugins-x86.dat"
> > +#else
> > +#define CACHE_NAME "plugins-ppc32.dat"
> > +#endif
> > +#endif
>
> As we do UB only for intel32 and intel64, if this was necessary, I think
> you would need to modify the name only for intel64.

I'm not convinced that this works any better than what we currently have.

Is VLC run-time path fixed on MacOS X? I thought not. If not, the cache cannot
be generated at build-time in any case. This restriction has been there for as
long as the plugin cache has existed (to my knowledge).

Do and, in the future, will, all IA-32 Mac computers ever shipped support the
exact same sets of SIMD instructions (i.e. CPU_CAPABILITY_* bits)? If not,
generating the cache at build-time will fail for some processors with VLC 1.1.

Same question for AMD64 Macs.

http://www.remlab.info/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis