[vlc-devel] Binaural virtual acoustics via headphones

Piotr Majdak piotr at majdak.com
Sun May 15 10:08:40 CEST 2011

Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
>> I played a little bit with the "headphone virtual spatialization"
>> option in the VLC player. It seems to mix somehow the audio channels
>>
> Arf. :D
>

>> down to the headphone channels, however, I could not find any
>> description about the algorithm. I also could not find any
>> options/settings for that. Can you help with some of description?
>>
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=blob;f=modules/audio_filter/channel_mixer/headphone.c;hb=HEAD

Thanks for the pointer. It seems like there is just a delay-and-gain
implemented. I think that this a good point to start.

> seem to show 3 options, one integer (dim) and 2 booleans (one of which
> I think is useless

How do I use/set these options? Are these command line parameters?

> Audio filters would be welcome, and not only HRTF, but upmixing or
> SRS-WoW-like filters
>
> See
> http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Hacker%27s_Guide/Audio_Filters
> and
> http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Hacker%27s_Guide

Thanks for the guides. I'd like to focus on HRTF implementation first.
Maybe we'll look later how SRS-WoW actually works.

Another general question: I'd like to adapt the filtering to the actual
head position/orientation in real time. I thought about capturing the
head information with web-cam using openCV or similar - is time-variant
filtering possible within the current audio-filter framework? As for the
human resources, a student could work on that in his master thesis, so
spending let's say 4 to 6 months. Do you think is this practicable?

Regards,
Piotr

--
Piotr Majdak
Psychoakustik und Experimentelle Audiologie