[vlc-devel] "approved" method for locating plugins dir

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon May 23 22:29:39 CEST 2011

	Hello,

Le lundi 23 mai 2011 23:12:43 Nick Briggs, vous avez écrit :
> Is there an approved method for locating where plugins should be installed
> from a standalone compilation/installation of a VLC module?

Hmm no, I'm afraid I did not think about that.

> I'm trying to maintain an access module (for CCNx, http://www.ccnx.org)
> that is compatible with most versions of VLC,

Binary compatibility is explicitly broken at every x.y.0 release. I guess
you're using quite a pile of ifdefs. Then again, some plugin classes are more
stable than others.

> but about March 2010 plugins
> moved from $(vlclibdir)/modules to $(vlclibdir)/plugins, and there doesn't
> seem to be a pkg-config value that reflects this.

I can add a pkg variable, but as far as backward compatibility is concerned,
you're going to have to hardcode $(libdir)/vlc/module for VLC < 1.1 and
$(libdir)/vlc/plugins for VLC >= 1.1.0.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis