[vlc-devel] GSoC 2011 - Generator of libVLC bindings for other languages‎

Alexey Sokolov alexey at alexeysokolov.co.cc
Fri May 27 16:07:56 CEST 2011

On 27.05.2011 20:20, Olivier Aubert wrote:
> Hello Alexey
>
> Since you are basing your work on the python bindings generator, why not
> rather use a branch in the python-bindings git tree, it would ease
> rebasing changes in one way or the other. The generate.py version you
> are using is already diverging from the current one.
>
> Olivier
Because Rémi created that git for me, so well...

Actually, I'm looking into parsing doxygen xml output now instead, as
you proposed. Python generator removes all constness, which is not very
good for C++, and changing it in a way that it allows consts, would make
me also to change lots of stuff in python part of generator (or to leave
it in nonworkable state)... It would make sense to add support for
ctypes-based python bindings to doxygen xml parser, but that's later.

Also having C++- and every-language-bindings in python/ is just weird
IMHO. I even think that I should not make swiggy python bindings, to not
to confuse people by 2 different python bindings, but in that case
every-language-except-python laying in python/ is even more weird...
> On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 19:53 +0700, Alexey Sokolov wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'm Alexey, student from Novosibirsk State University, Russia.
>>
>> I'll do this project on GSoC:
>> http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2011/Generator_of_libVLC_bindings_for_other_languages
>> under mentorship of ivoire/Rémi Duraffort.
>>
>> I'm accessible at IRC by nick DarthGandalf
>>
>> Feedback welcome.

Best regards,
Alexey "DarthGandalf" Sokolov