[vlc-devel] [Patches]: Video Decoder Acceleration (VDA) avcodec module for Mac OS X

Sebastien Zwickert dilaroga at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 16:07:58 CET 2011

Hi,

The patch in attachment implements an avcodec module that uses a patched version of ffmpeg which takes benefit of VDA HWAccel module (patch sent on ffmpeg-devel mailing list).
The set of patches contains some hacks to disable ffmpeg-mt because HWAccel is not working with ffmpeg-mt.

I tested the module on Lion and Snow Leopard and I've done some perf tests on Lion. It results of a gain of CPU usage : comparing the time profiler sample of a nightly build and a VDA build shows that VDA build reduces the usage of CPU of more than 30% on my mac book pro with an Intel HD graphic. The samples have been done when VLC played the first minute of Big Buck Bunny 1080p.

Notes that i've to adds LDFLAGS manually to compile the patched build. These LDFLAGS should be added in configure.ac but i did not succeed in doing that.
export LDFLAGS="-framework CoreFoundation -framework VideoDecodeAcceleration -framework QuartzCore"

Best regards,

Sebastien.