[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] win64 packaging: fix comment

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Nov 6 17:14:50 CET 2011

Le dimanche 6 novembre 2011 18:02:47 Rafaël Carré, vous avez écrit :
> > Duh... This is ridiculous. This goes beyond everything we've done so far
> > on Win32...
>
> What have we done so far?
>
> Statically linking several times the same library seems backward to me.

Older versions of the Windows PE loader cannot automatically find DLL's from
non-PATH directories, or something like that.

I don't know if it would be feasible now. But there is anyway the problem of
potentially conflicting DLL with the same name from other applications in the
Windows directories. You ignored my other mail...

> But this makes me think of avcodec/avformat; why did we merge the modules
> instead of shipping av*.dll ?

Because nobody fixed the Windows port to support DLL's.

Furthermore, nobody proposed a method to support shared objects in contribs.
In particular, static linking should be retained for libraries which are only
linked once in VLC. Otherwise we will loose dead code elimintation and LTO.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis