[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] win64 packaging: distribute libstdc++-6.dll and libgcc_s_sjlj-1.dll

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sun Nov 6 18:45:32 CET 2011

On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 12:38:52PM -0500, Rafaël Carré wrote :
> Le Sun, 6 Nov 2011 18:19:31 +0100,
> Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> a écrit :
>
> > On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 11:11:30AM -0500, Rafaël Carré wrote :
> > > Anyway I expect libstdc++-6.dll to have a consistent ABI, just like
> > > libstdc++-6.so
> >
> > Right. On windows, with the mess between all the g++ compilers
>
> What mess? We use the same compiler for contribs and vlc anyway

And you do the same for all applications based on libVLC?

> > , not to mention sljl vs dw2.
>
> mingw-w64 doesn't support dw2

Right, so absolutely no way a .dll with dw2 would be loaded before
yours.

> > Not to mention the different webplugins loaded in memory by a browser.
>
> which different plugins?

I don't know, any webplugin + vlc one.
Any application loading libVLC after

> > And of course, I expect you will do the support on the forum and mailing
> > lists for users who don't understand what happens based on their
> > configuration.
>
> win64 builds are still in early testing phase

Sure, that doesn't mean you should put a model that was discussed,
tried, and was broken.
We already tried dlls in VLC, see 0.9.4 win32 build, for example.

It did work, but broke in all external applications, notably in the
webbrowser, who didn't find avcodec-51.dll, because it wasn't in its
PATH.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734