[vlc-devel] Project of generation libvlc.lib compatible with MS Visual Studio.

Sergey Radionov rsatom at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 04:51:24 CET 2011

2011/11/11 Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>

> Le jeudi 10 novembre 2011 19:05:29 Jacques Boileau, vous avez écrit :
> > How to implement this in the make whoever is beyond my knowledge of
> > make files. But we would need to have access to lib.exe from
> > VisualStudio, so the build configuration would have to know where it
> > is. I know most of you are Linux oriented developers so I don't know
> > if you have VisualStudio available when you do your Win32
> > build.
>
> VisualStudio is not a component of the Windows operating system, or is it?

Visual Studio is not component of OS, it is separate product, so as WDK,
WSDK, DDK etc.

| "(...) as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
> | include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or
> | binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on)
> | of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that
> | component itself accompanies the executable."

I think it says that you can't include any part of "major components" with
source or binary distribution of product.
But we not need it, we need make .lib file _before_ making distribution,
and include in distribution only that .lib, no any "major components".

> I'd strongly advise not to VisualStudio (or any other proprietary tools
> chain)
> with (L)GPL derived work unless your competent lawyer told you it's OK.

Microsoft has free versions of Visual Studio - Express Editions, and
licence for it allow build any applications (include open source and
proprietary) without any restrictions.

> The .lib file really should be generated by binutils if it is useful.

If Visual Stuido could link this lib - than why not?