[vlc-devel] Project of generation libvlc.lib compatible with MS Visual Studio.

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Sat Nov 12 08:32:53 CET 2011

Le Sat, 12 Nov 2011 12:24:57 +0700,
Sergey Radionov <rsatom at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Does it mean that, GPL projects can't include any file, that need
> proprietary programs to build?
> For expample, than any GPL project can't include Visual Studio
> solutions(.sln)/projects(.vcproj), and can't build by Visual Studio (or any
> microsoft compilator)?

Hmm that's tricky because there are GPL programs that are made only
with Visual Studio (I think CDex is an example).

Also we have in VLC .nib/.xib files for MacOSX which are created with
Apple proprietary XCode.

But then XCode is provided with every Mac (it's available on the DVD).

http://gpl-violations.org/faq/sourcecode-faq.html says:

Particularly in the case of cross-compilation for embedded platforms, ...
...  you have to provide the the exact version of your compiler
toolchain that was used to create the executables that you have distributed.
Please note that in most cases this will be GNU GCC, which is itself GPL
licensed, so the GPL obligations will in turn apply to the toolchain, and
you must release the complete corresponding source code to it as well.

But I would say it's OK to provide Visual Studio projects in practice,
and if someone screams propose them to port the build system to mingw ;)

--
Rafaël Carré