[vlc-devel] configure: check that live555 has our patches applied

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Wed Nov 16 04:13:01 CET 2011

Le Wed, 16 Nov 2011 09:50:59 +0800,
Ross Finlayson <finlayson at live555.com> a écrit :

> The bottom line is that I'll be shortly be updating the LIVE555 code to
> address the issues that necessitated the VLC LIVE555 patches.

Did you notice we were all aware of this change by Rémi thanks to our
VCS?
Each and every change is made public so it can be analyzed, studied,
and criticized independently of the others. Right now, or in ten years.
That's incredibly convenient.

> (In some cases, the actual changes will be somewhat different, to ensure that the code remains portable to some systems beyond those supported by VLC.)

That is nice but don't forget that GPL is viral and the changes I sent
to you are GPL, not LGPL as the rest of live555.
So if you use any of Rémi's changes, update the license of the complete
live555 package to GPL.

Or we can make a deal: you start to publish live555 history in the form
of a VCS and we start to license our patches as LGPL.

--
Rafaël Carré