[vlc-devel] VLC on AppStore under the name 'GoodPlayer' ?

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 19 22:02:02 CET 2011

On 19.11.2011, at 20:32, Kaarlo Räihä wrote:

> 2011/11/19 vlc developer <vlcdeveloper123 at gmail.com>
> The app GoodPlayer looks bogus, I ran 'strings' on the binary and it appears to be just a clone of VLC-mobile project.
>
> Not sure if this is the correct mailing list I should use..but I guess developers would care about this.
>
> AFAIK anyone can do the complain notice about GPL violation.
Indeed. Well, anyone with copyrighted code within MobileVLCKit, which doesn't include quite a number of modules (mostly encoders, stream output, linux/win32 video outputs, qt4 intf, various control interfaces).

> And you can also send report to Apple
True, that would be the way to go.

> which will remove it since App(_)Store isn't GPL compliant distribution method.
This doesn't seem to be quite true anymore, especially considering the increasing numbers of open-source applications on the Mac App Store. IMO, we should check the current situation first prior to using this argument for our own sake. Distributing VLC for Mac and VLC for iOS through Apple's App Store is probably something we will want to do sooner or later.