[vlc-devel] Play MxPEG video clip in VLC?

Simon Brenner simon.brenner at mobotix.com
Fri Nov 25 16:30:36 CET 2011

Hi folks,

can anyone tell me if it's possible to play MxPEG video files (.mxg,
MOBOTIX' video file format) with VLC Player?
Actually, it should be possible, because MxPEG was integrated into
FFmpeg about one year ago.

I was already able to play mxg files directly with ffplay and avplay.
And I could also fetch a live stream video of a MOBOTIX camera and
transcode it on the fly into some other video format.

The question is, why doesn't VLC playback my mxg files even though the
decoder is already integrated in libavcodec?

Another question how VLC is cooperating with libav instead of FFmpeg?
The project has split a while ago. What does this mean for VLC?

Best regards,

-Simon.