[vlc-devel] [Patches] Dash: mostly cosmetics

Christopher Mueller Christopher.Mueller at itec.uni-klu.ac.at
Fri Nov 25 19:08:38 CET 2011

> Since I'm writting about dash, do you have an opinion about
> relocating
> the read/peek method into the Chunk themselves ?
> This seems more natural to read from a chunk than asking the Network
> manager to read from a connection identified by a chunk.
> This is something I was thinking about, but I have to read the code a
> bit more to be sure it's doable.

I know it looks a little bit strange but the code that is currently in
vlc is only a subset. Unfortunately I do not have much time until I get
back from my US internship at the end of December.

The HTTPConnectionManager is needed because soon or later we would need
persistent connections and connection pooling it is also possible that
one chunk corresponds to a range of servers through the baseurl which is
currently not part of the plugin. These things are very important for
the performance, i.e. the use of persistent connections brings a
performance increase of approximately 30 – 35% which is tremendous.
Another thing that is needed even more is a buffer of course we are
using one but like the other stuff it must be prepared for vlc.

I will definitely have more time in January and then I would more
actively participate on the improvement of this plugin and
prepare/submit this stuff.

Btw. I have also submitted the class diagram to this list but it is
over 65Kb so it will take some time, more information about the plugin
and DASH as well as the class diagram could be found at [1]

[1] http://www-itec.uni-klu.ac.at/dash/

BR
Chris