[vlc-devel] Non-sequential frame arrivals?

John Zavgren john at zavgren.com
Mon Nov 28 13:33:08 CET 2011

Greetings:
I'm developing a link aggregation system that distributes video frames
(encapsulated in UDP) across multiple diverse network paths and the
unpredictable per-path delays cause the frames arrivals to be shuffled.

Can VLC use the sequence numbers in RTP to correct out of order arrivals?
I'm thinking of something beyond a simple discard mechanism. I know there
must be a receive buffer that is used to make frames play out
synchronously. Can VLC manage this buffer to restore the original order of
frames?

I've done some preliminary experiments and the results are atrocious. It
appears that out of order arrivals are merely discarded.

Thanks!
John Zavgren

--
I refuse to believe that corporations are actually people until the state
of Texas executes one.

John Zavgren
603-371-0513 (home)
603-801-2094 (cell)