[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Remove redundant comments

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Mon Nov 28 23:19:50 CET 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:49:41PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> Getting so nervous

Well, I think we are all a bit too tired.

There are a lot of things happening, notably on the build-system, the
3rd party libraries and the move to the new contribs (way better, noone
will object, but sometimes harder for us, lazy devs used to the mess we
had in the past), the freeze is not funny (as usual), and I haven't been
able to put as much effort in the code lately, notably because of the
LGPL, the GCi and other partnerships discussion.

Yes, this isn't fun. But we have to look a bit back at it.

VLC 1.1.x were really not too bad, and the users agree, in vast numbers!
VLC 1.2 brings really exciting new things, in the vout, in the aout, in
the codecs, and in the new platforms (OS/2!!!)!
The VLC code is getting cleaner and cleaner and we have a good lot of
contributions getting merged!
libVLC is actually usable now and there are a few nice applications
examples, that are not just theoretical.

The LGPL is exciting too. It's hard to know the impact yet, but
this is interesting stuff.

Oh, I know the feeling, I've been more tired/stressed, lately, than I
wanted. Burn-outs in communities happen, not only in startups.
Taking a day or two of my week-end (although not the nights) out-of-VLC
worked for me (and sleeping longer in the mornings :D)

I think we should look at the amazing work done and calm down a bit.
All of us.

However, I think we should be a bit more careful about build-system
changes or other too-intruisive changes and ask for more reviews, on the
mailing-list. We are getting better and better, as a community to review
patches, I believe.

With my very respectful regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf