[vlc-devel] RoarAudio plugin for VLC

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Sat Oct 1 15:59:33 CEST 2011

flum,

maister wrote a VLC plugin[0][1] to output to RoarAudio[2] using
libroar[4]. I would like to see this included in upstream VLC.
What is the process to get this done?

However I currently see a problem: if VLC moves over to LGPL the plugin
may not be compatible as libroar is not compatible ([5] or [6], don't
know which applies). libroar is GPLv3. There is µRoar[7], a
implementation of the RoarAudio protocol for license incompatible
software. It is under LGPL v3 or later. Still this would require rewrite
of lage parts of the plugin.

What is the process of this possible change of VLC to LGPL? Haven't
found up to date news on the page. Should commiting this plugin maybe be
delayed until the situation is clear again?

Thanks for your work :)

PS: please keep RoarAudio list in Cc.

[0] https://bts.keep-cool.org/ticket/78
[1] https://bts.keep-cool.org/raw-attachment/ticket/78/roar-vlc.tar.2.gz