[vlc-devel] [RFV] Git expert

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Oct 4 23:02:14 CEST 2011

Le mardi 4 octobre 2011 00:48:38 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez écrit :
> Hello,
>
> This short "Request For Volunteer" is a way to find someone skilled in
> Git, notably in branch filtering; and someone who has enough time and
> will...
>
> Indeed, we probably need to test a rewrite of the vlc.git repository
> history for various reasons...

Rewriting the entire history would break every single fork/clone of the VLC
tree in existence. No more cherrypicking from vlc.git to a stable branch, so
you might as well kill VLC 1.2.1 and all older releases.

All the pending patches will also be broken, except maybe for the lucky few
with hours of CPU and gigabytes of RAM to rebase tens of thousands of commits.
Try running git cherry between vlc-1.1.git and vlc.git just for a taste.

And of course, that would break all the hashes referenced all over the place.

I'll basically quit if that stupidest idea ever is implemented.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis