[vlc-devel] How to change the graph path while loading a file?

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 04:01:49 CEST 2011

Folks,

I have created a custom file format that essentially takes a mp4 or mkv file and adds some additional information to it. The original video and audio streams are not tampered at all. I also have implemented a stream filter module within vlc to handle this new file format.

This technique works 99% of the time. I have been able to play movies in the original format as well as the new format within vlc.

Yesterday, I ran into a subtle problem. While playing a media file with my new format, the video works okay but the audio fails. The original media file plays okay.

I have a feeling that vlc is taking a different graph path when playing this file. I am wondering if there is a way to:
1. Check what audio filter is vlc using with the original file.
2. Force vlc to use the same audio filter when using the new file, ideally by command line options.

If you have some other idea or suspect something else is going on, I would appreciate it if you could share your thoughts with me.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter