[vlc-devel] Getting xgettext to process lua html scripts (bring i18n to html intf)

Francois Cartegnie fcvlcdev at free.fr
Fri Oct 21 15:27:57 CEST 2011

On 20/10/2011 22:53, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> I don't see how that can work, unless you're proposing to create a separate
> text domain for Lua scripts. And that would suck, because it would duplicate
> some of the translation efforts.

Not needed if you use msgmerge. Confirmed by tests with a modified
Makefile.in.in

> Another alternative is to write a custom script that generate dummy code from
> Lua script, containing just the strings that you want to translate. This might
> also apply for the still troublesome Qt4 translations. This would require
> careful hackery to not break makefile dependencies though.

Keeping that script out of complexity would mean not dealing with the 3
languages (inline js, html and lua). And then wouldn't bring more than
the gettext() or _() detection xgettext does.

I think all of this is too much overkill, while parsing it using the C
engine just require to be a bit careful when using C comment strings &
gettext() _N() in the html source.

Francois