[vlc-devel] Some codec/demux/display bugs

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Oct 24 08:03:20 CEST 2011

   Hello,

On Monday 24 October 2011, Cyril Lambin wrote:
> Le 22 octobre 2011 23:41, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> a écrit :
> > You can override the demuxer on a per-item basis though:
> >
> > # vlc file/avformat:///path/to/file.mp4
> >
> > or:
> >
> > # vlc /path/to/file.mp4 :demux=avformat
> >
> > That also kinda works from the UI.
>
> Okay, so I guess the default demuxer is avformat, then ?

No. The default is the VLC for local files, and lavf for the rest.

> (eventually that demuxer would need a fix for those kind of .mov files
> anyway, they're really heavily used in video editing because Final Cut Pro
> has a strong user base now.)

> Or maybe another way to achieve what we need is to revert to the default
> VLC demuxer if the "forced default" demuxer (here ffmpeg) returns an error
> because of an unsupported file format. Or to have a way to change the
> priority of demuxers - if VLC works that way.

If neither lavf nor VLC can parse the file, I don't really see how falling back
would help.

> I'm not trying to force anything into VLC dev, just trying to figure out a
> clean solution in the long-term :)

The clean solution is to fix both demuxers, or get the VLC demuxer to support
non-local files and fix it, or get the lavf demuxer on the feature level of the
VLC one and fix it. Good luck with that.

http://www.remlab.info