[vlc-devel] python vlc bindings on mac osx 64 bit

Rene Dohmen rene at formatics.nl
Mon Oct 24 13:47:16 CEST 2011

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Olivier Aubert
<olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Thanks for your contribution.
>
> On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 15:14 +0200, Rene Dohmen wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> with VLC 1.1.12 the python binding work again on Mac OSX 10.6 and
>> above with the stock python.
>> The working example includes a video for easy testing:
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13529909/QTmac/pyqtvlc.zip
> A 13MB download certainly does not make it easier to test. But anyway:
>
>> A README file is included, with a log of what I had to change to get it working.
> Apart from adding a sys.path item, I did not see any changes.

I had to change some stuff for the 64bit version. Put the newest
vlc.py in place and it worked.
But because the resizing / fullscreen doesn't work (at least in the
example) we looked for another solution for playing video.

It also has problems -> stopping the video will crash the bindings.

>> I don't know how to implement resizing of the video window and/or
>> fullscreen support.
>> Is it possible to change the example_qtvlc.py in the videolan git repo
>> with some working code for Mac OSX again, based on my working example?
> It would be really great to have working code in the qtvlc.py example.
> However, I lack time and hardware to extract the appropriate code from
> your example and put it in qtvlc.py. Could you please integrate (and
> test) your changes in the qtvlc.py file, and send me the result? I will
> commit it to the git tree.

I also don't have time for that, maybe in a couple of months :-)

I don't understand all of the code and put a lot of research hours in
getting a working Movie Content Editor with the latest VLC binding on
a recent Mac.
They use the python pyobjc obejective C wrappers to set up a NSView
where VLC renders it video. I don't know how to implement it further.
I used objective C for some simple iOS apps, but never developed a
native app for mac osx.
I could clean it up a little bit if I have some time.

Just wanted to share a way to get the player working with qt and
python. I also posted a message on the Movie Content Editor
mailinglist; because their version won't work on a newer mac (10.6 or
10.7)

Rene