[vlc-devel] 1.2-pre1

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Oct 29 11:12:56 CEST 2011

Le samedi 29 octobre 2011 11:53:26 Jean-Paul Saman, vous avez écrit :
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to suggest that we do a 1.2-pre1 next tuesday (holidays in
> > France) to start having fun with VLC 1.2.
> > Opinions? Do we fork like the past times?
> >
> > I think 1.2 is in a really good shape.
> > For me, only the QTsound module is missing, in the latest main patches
> > we've had.
>
> The DTV plugin does not provide scanning for DVB, which is a user
> regression from vlc-1.1.x series. IMHO this needs to be fixed before
> releasing.

I don't understand why Ilkka disabled the old DVB scanner. Last I tried, it
coexisted fine with the DTV plugin.

That being said, the old scanner:
- was hard to use,
- did not scan DVB-C properly (in VLC 1.1),
- could not scan DVB-S (in VLC 1.1),
- required manual configuration and the dvb-apps package
  to scan DVB-S in VLC 1.2-git,
- apparently failed in some countries (Italy, UK),
- probably did not work in 7 MHz areas (e.g. Taiwan, Australia)
- never worked on Windows.

So not that much of a regression really.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis