[vlc-devel] VLC webplugin + live555 crashes

Wright, Alexander AlexanderWright at my.unt.edu
Mon Oct 31 17:46:29 CET 2011

Hello, I'm using live555 to stream video and viewing this stream using the VLC web plugin. We have an issue with win32 safari on the 1.1.11 release, when we navigate away from the VLC plugin page, the VLC player will close, the page will attempt to load, but our cookie session variables are somehow lost resulting in the user being redirected to the login page. We downgraded to VLC 1.1.10 and it works fine with safari on windows. However this version of VLC crashes *all the time* with most browsers. We output multiple streams and want to allow the user to dynamically switch between the H264 and MJPEG stream, but doing so seems to make the plugin crash frequently.

Is there a less costly way to change streams so that the plugin simply connects to another RTSP without a completely reloading the plugin? (Or any other way we can mitigate crashing)

We change streams as follows using the javascript api: (Where vlc_target is the rtsp URL)
vlc.playlist.items.clear();
vlc.playlist.playItem(vlc.playlist.add(vlc_target.valueOf(), "", new Array(":rtsp-caching=200")));

The HTML for the plugin for internet explorer is:
<object classid="clsid:9BE31822-FDAD-461B-AD51-BE1D1C159921" width="600px" height="450px" id="video1"></object>

On all other browsers we use the following HTML: (despite the embed tag not being defined in xhtml 1.0 strict)
<embed type=\"application/x-vlc-plugin\" pluginspage=\"http://www.videolan.org\" version=\"VideoLAN.VLCPlugin.2\" width=\"600\" height=\"450\" id=\"video1\"></embed>

I've tried the latest nightly: vlc-1.2.0-git-20111031-1152-win32.exe, but on internet explorer I get a single frame of video and the page doesnt redraw. And in firefox the way we detect if the plugin loaded (seeing if the version information is defined using the javascript API) fails and we get an install VLC page instead.

I appreciate any help you can give me!

-Thanks
Alex Wright