[vlc-devel] All things UPNP!

Jorgen Lundman lundman at lundman.net
Wed Sep 14 04:12:31 CEST 2011

Developers, jb, and maybe mirsal (?)

I am between projects, and I thought it would be nice to give something back to
VLC. If that is appreciated, that is. :)

I have just finished implementing UPNP client and server for an embedded STB
device, so the knowledge is fresh. I also added UPNP to my own "llink" media
content streamer.

I would propose to do the following:

* Use Cyberlink for C UPNP library, uses BSD style license.
* Implement as loadable .so/.dylib/.dll if present (this is the preferred VLC
way, no?)
* Implement both UPNP client, and UPNP server, with optional UPNP
MediaRenderer.(Remote control, not a media transcoder as the name implies).

However, I understand that work on UPNP may already have started. Since "too
many chefs spoils the broth", just let me know if that is the case.

Let's at least have a discussion about UPNP.

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman at lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)