[vlc-devel] Modules.am and .c verses .cpp file

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 19 03:00:11 CEST 2011

Folks,

I am testing a new module file that I added. It is contained in a single 'C' file. Let's call it mydecoder.c.

I looked at other modules and followed similar steps to update Modules.am:

SOURCES_xyz = \
      xyz.c

libvlc_LTLIBRARIES += \
     libxyz_plugin.la \
     $(NULL)

After this, I ran "bootstrap," "configure," and "make."

Everything builds as expected.

Now, I renamed my xyz.c file to xyz.cpp and updated Modules.am to use xyz.cpp instead of xyz.c.

I deleted all the Make* files (Makefile, Makefile.in, Makefile.am) and once again ran "bootstrap" and "configure."

Now, when I try to run "make," the error I get is:

"No rule to make target xyz.c needed by libxyz_plugin_la-xyz.lo."

I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Why is it looking for xyz.c instead of xyz.cpp?

I would appreciate it if someone can enlighten me.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter