[vlc-devel] Jittery output when playing H.264 video extracted from a Matroska file

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Mon Sep 19 07:37:35 CEST 2011

The following Matroska file (the file "test2.mkv" from the Matroska test suite), after being downloaded, plays perfectly on VLC (v1.1.11).
	http://www.live555.com/test2.mkv	(~20 MBytes)

However, if I extract the H.264 video track data (using the 'mkvtoolnix' "mkvextract" tool) into a file:
	http://www.live555.com/test2-mkvextract.h264	(~20 MBytes)
I find that the video is jittery when I play this file using VLC (again, v1.1.11).

Is this a known problem?

(The stream's H.264 SPS and PPS NAL units appear at the start of the "test2-mkvextract.h264" file.  Is it possible that some information in these NAL units is incorrect or missing, and that this turns out not to be a problem when the H.264 video stream is embedded within a Matroska file (e.g., because of all of the extra timecode information etc. that's present in the Matroska file)?)

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.
http://www.live555.com/