[vlc-devel] How does vlc load shared libraries that are not in standard places?

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 08:40:06 CEST 2011

Folks,

I built vlc from the source code and installed it in a new directory in my dev machine (Ubuntu 11.04). I then copied the who directory structure and a few other files to a clean test machine (Ubuntu 11.04).

On the new machine:

$ cd ~/myvlc/bin
$ ./vlc  ~/mymedia.mp4

VLC runs as expected.

What I noticed that vlc was picking up some shared libraries from a local "lib" directory (~/myvlc/lib in my case). Examples are libvlc.so.5 and libvlcore.so.5.

Within my limited understanding of Linux, the loader on Linux can search and load shared libraries only from the directories defined in /etc/ld.so.conf file. I am wonderinghow vlc is able to load the shared libraries from a non-standard location.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter