[vlc-devel] Video4Linux spat

Francois Cartegnie fcvlcdev at free.fr
Fri Apr 6 13:53:35 CEST 2012

Le 05/04/2012 19:36, Rémi Denis-Courmont a écrit :
> If we included our own copy of <linux/videodev2.h>, then VLC would assume the
> ABI of the kernel version that *we* chose, instead of of the version that the
> distribution chose. That is obviously Not A Good Thing(tm).

What if we split some parts of code to ship legacy and new code for new
features/abi ?
We would just have to enable legacy code by default, and use new one on
successful autodetection (*) or configure switch: Let the packager decide.

(*) I don't really see why a distro would ship headers older than the
kernel.

Francois