[vlc-devel] Video4Linux spat

Sergio M. Ammirata, Ph.D. sergio at ammirata.net
Sat Apr 7 19:38:49 CEST 2012

I would be happy with just one option to be able to use older kernels
which are still supported until 2013 (ubuntu 10.04 desktop LTS for
example).

You can make it simple to the user, either he is willing to go to the
latest kernel headers and enable all the wonderful new features or he uses
the "old crap" which works fine for most mortals.

As a matter of fact, I would be even happy with having the setting default
to the new kernel api. At least I could compile by changing a configure
option instead of tracking down commits and reverting them.

Alternatively, if the code is so different, why don't you just create a
new module and live the old one as v4l2_legacy?

Sergio