[vlc-devel] Ephemeral timeout not working on subpictures

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 00:57:26 CEST 2012

Hello,

I am trying to implement a watermarking scheme that is not visible to human eye. The idea is to display a small subpicture at random location for each frame. There are 24 frames per second. Human eye should not catch the subpicture if it is displayed only for 1/24th part of a second.

My computed timeout for each subpicture is CEIL((1 * 1000 * 1000), 24) nanoseconds.

In my video filter, here is the relevant code for subpicture settings:

    p_spu->i_start = date;
    p_spu->i_stop  = date + p_sys->i_timeout; // timeout from above calculations
    p_spu->b_ephemer = true; // the subpicture is ephemeral
    p_spu->b_fade = false; // no fading. Just disappear

However, when I run vlc, I still see the subpicture appearing momentarily.

Thinking that my calculation is wrong, I modified the stop time to current time + 1 nanosecond.

    p_spu->i_stop  = date + 1;

However, that doesn't seem to make any difference. I still see the image momentarily on the screen.

Can someone please tell me what is it that I am missing? Is my logic flawed?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter