[vlc-devel] compiling vlc on visual studio

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Aug 13 14:14:01 CEST 2012

Le lundi 13 août 2012 14:48:55 Naohiro KORIYAMA, vous avez écrit :
> 2012/8/13 Ritu choudhary <ritu.itzme at gmail.com>:
> > hi all,
> > Is there any way to compile the source code of vlc on visual studio ? Has
> > it been done before? any guidance?
>
> Visual C++ doesn't support C99.
> I tested Visual Studio 2012, but it doesn't support C99.
>
> Maybe Microsoft  will not support it forever :-)
> Microsoft  want users to use C++ instead of C.
> http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/2
> 089423-c99-support

In particular, the chair of the C++ committee, a Microsoft employee wrote:

"(...) we recommend that you consider using a different compiler such as Intel
or gcc (short-term) and/or pressure your standards committee representatives
to have ISO C++ include more of the C standard (longer-term)."

(source: http://herbsutter.com/2012/05/03/reader-qa-what-about-vc-and-c99/ )

ICC is not really an option for redistributable GPL code, that leaves gcc.
That's what we use.

C/C++ software engineer looking for a job
http://www.linkedin.com/in/remidenis