[vlc-devel] [RFC] Bounties for VLC

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 23:05:38 CEST 2012

Hello,

On 10.08.2012, at 17:38, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:

> I have computed a list of bounties from important and/or annoying
> issues/shortcoming of VLC and libVLC, that you can find on our wiki:
> http://wiki.videolan.org/Bounties#List_of_bounties
>
> This is a Work In Progress list. Some of those will get removed, some
> will be added. And the numbers are clearly NOT valid.
>
> I need a bit of feedback to get a more definitive list (to be acted at
> VDD) and some ideas about prices, because frankly some items are hard to
> guess...

Thanks for the work you put into this.

I'd love to see AirPlay support on this list. Our current implementation uses an old protocol, which does only support audio.

The new Video protocol is technically completely different from the first version, so this isn't just about adding an "if video blabla". I met the developer of the version 1 patch briefly in Brazil and he considers this reverse-engineering and re-implementation as quite a big task. However, this would be more than worth it.
Of course, an AirPlay receiver would be kind of nice as well, so any AirPlay capable device could send its data _to_ VLC for display, but this might be beyond VLC's scope.

Another cool thing would be a proper updater on Windows similar to what Firefox uses, so, on a restart of VLC, updates are automatically installed without requiring the user to do anything. Just a plain window with the progress and VLC doing all the magic of replacing the existing files with the updated ones. If this implementation ends up to be generic, this could also be helpful to a bunch of other projects such as Tomahawk, etc.

Considering the monetary value of each item, I second Rafaël's suggestion to discuss this in person at VDD, at least for the first set of tasks.

Best regards,

Felix