[vlc-devel] [RFC] Dropping support for OS X 10.5

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 22:16:04 CEST 2012

On 17.08.2012, at 18:10, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org> wrote:

>>> It looks simpler to me too, does 10.7 support i686 ?
>>
>> no.
>
> Then we can bump the 10.5 requirement to 10.7 directly ..

As pointed by j-b, the code simplifications enabled by this potential move wouldn't be significant.
Additionally, since the release builds are linked against the 10.7 SDK, we don't loose any functionality since every  API is available (and just needs to be conditionally disabled for 10.6).

While Apple claims that more than 2 thirds of the Mac installed base uses Lion or later, the 10.6 share is big enough to care about especially for professional users.

A lot of apps require 10.6 and Intel64 nowadays including Google Chrome, so dropping i686 sounds reasonable. This would simplify the maintenance a lot and shrink the size of our default download for the Mac from 42 to 26 MB since we don't have to ship a universal binary anymore.

Best regards,

Felix