[vlc-devel] [RFC] Dropping support for OS X 10.5

John Oyler john.m.oyler at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 18:31:21 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 06:10:01PM +0200, Rafaël Carré wrote :

>> > no.
>>
>> Then we can bump the 10.5 requirement to 10.7 directly ..
>
> No.
>
>> IIUC OSX upgrades are cheaper since 10.7 so maybe there are not much
>> 10.6 users?
>
> Nope. Many people have skipped 10.7 because it did not bring much to
> 10.6. Many claim that there are even important regressions.
> And 10.6.8 is quite recent, to be honest.
>
> Moreover, dropping a platform, just for dropping it is stoopid, IMNSHO.
> If it does not simplify our code and our load of work, this is not a
> good idea.

I have two iMacs at home. One is a G5 2gigs ram running 10.5.8 and the
latest VLC. This is used by my 3 yr old daughter to watch cartoons...
both from file, and from a Youtube playlist. Happy with it as is,
can't imagine needing a later version of VLC, so not upset at all
about you guys dropping support.

The second iMac is our primary computer, a 2008 model. It's running
10.5 also... mostly because there are a ton of other upgrades I'd want
to do simultaneously before I bump it to 10.6. But if I have to
upgrade to that, wouldn't be upset there either... my laziness is not
an excuse to keep bad code in the tree. However, I'm not sure I'm
willing to upgrade further than that. I do not know if I am the
typical user, but we are talking about an operating system (10.6) that
was current until the middle of 2011. Unless it is excessively
problematic to continue, I beg you guys not to drop support for it
yet. I suspect that it might require me to buy a new machine to
upgrade that far.

Thanks,
John O.