[vlc-devel] [RFC] Dropping support for OS X 10.5

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 11:00:18 CEST 2012

On 20.08.2012, at 09:17, David Fuhrmann <david.fuhrmann at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Am 19.08.2012 um 23:05 schrieb SciFi <sci-fi at hush.ai>:
>> (1) I try to choose/set 32-bit in OSX-type apps (when possible),
>> (2) I build open-source apps as 32-bit,
>
> If that should not be possible, eventually, you just can run VLC in 64 Bits. It will not decrease performance so much that it would deserve a lengthy discussion.

In fact, it would run faster due to the reverse speed penalty on 10.6 and due to optimization on the x86_64 platform.
The entire user land runs in 64bit, but as soon as any 32bit app launches, the OSX needs to reload the entire frameworks and flood the memory by keeping both variants side by side.

Best regards,

Felix