[vlc-devel] [RFC] Dropping support for OS X 10.5

SciFi sci-fi at hush.ai
Mon Aug 20 14:36:53 CEST 2012

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 06:29:38 -0500, SciFi wrote:
> […]
> (For example, take a look on these _current_ PPC projects:
> <http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/>
> <http://www.floodgap.com/software/> what else they are doing
> <https://aurorafox.wordpress.com/>
> …and more…)

Of course there are all-kinds of Non-Intel systems
out there still being used.
So let me add another example to this list,
the FreeBSD PPC system:
<http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/ppc.html>
This is an actively developed system still today.
(BTW FreeBSD was my choice of OS at my paid job
 [since Apple was a "4-letter word" there]
 and I was going to demonstrate it to show
 on what-all an open/"free" system can do,
 before my personal circumstances occurred.)

But, this kinda makes me ask:
Because of this droppage of 32-bit Macs,
that there _are_ 64-bit PowerMacs out there,
but you've dropped ALL PPC-Macs just-because you've
decided to drop 10.5?
(I can imagine you-all tell me to say
 "let them run FreeBSD-PPC instead, then".
 <lol>)

[I know there perhaps was never an official ppc64 build of VLC,
 yet I imagine it still was possible by the pkg-mgrs.
 But, still, this notion of dropping _everything-but_ the
 _current_ Macs is really making my stomach sour.
 I would have thought that VLC for-one would care about the
 older platforms, hopefully then this is why the older
 branches are promised to be maintained.]

Please remember, I am speaking of the plain user folk out there,
they will not do any development work
even if it is to simply run "./configure && make && make install".

I am also worried about the implications of saying
"run the earlier version of our app"
which puts them at a Second-Class User status
(regardless having the same fixes as the "latest" version).

Thanks again.

;)