[vlc-devel] [RFC] Dropping support for OS X 10.5

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Aug 20 15:20:40 CEST 2012

Le lundi 20 août 2012 15:36:53 SciFi, vous avez écrit :
> Of course there are all-kinds of Non-Intel systems
> out there still being used.
> So let me add another example to this list,
> the FreeBSD PPC system:
> <http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/ppc.html>

There are no plans to drop support for any specific processor architecture in
VLC on FreeBSD or any other operating systems. PowerPC will continue to be
supported at source level, on *BSD and on Linux, so long as the compiler is
sufficiently recent (*not* gcc-4.2).

> I am also worried about the implications of saying
> "run the earlier version of our app"
> which puts them at a Second-Class User status
> (regardless having the same fixes as the "latest" version).

ppc32 has been a second class architecture for years, following Apple's switch
to x86. ppc64 has always been a second class architecture. In fact, all big
endian architectures are in the second class.

You are more than welcome to help with the maintainance of Altivec
optimizations and issues with big endianness in VLC.

C/C++ software engineer looking for a job
http://www.linkedin.com/in/remidenis