[vlc-devel] How does set_capability work?

Peter Tap ptrtap at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 07:35:56 CEST 2012

Edward,

Thank you for your help. However, it is still very confusing.

1. There is no "video filter2" defined in the specified link. Even "sub filter," which seems to be often used, is not defined in this list. Is this just a documentation issue?

2. Module wave.c sets capability as "video filter2" but defines subcategory as SUBCAT_VIDEO_VFILTER and not SUBCAT_VIDEO_VFILTER2. Why?

    set_description( N_("Wave video filter") )
    set_shortname( N_( "Wave" ))
    set_capability( "video filter2", 0 )
    set_category( CAT_VIDEO )
    set_subcategory( SUBCAT_VIDEO_VFILTER )

3. If I define my module with subcategory as SUBCAT_VIDEO_VFILTER2, I don't see my module getting listed under Preferences->Video->Filters. However, changing the subcategory to SUBCAT_VIDEO_VFILTER makes it show up in the UI. Is SUBCAT_VIDEO_VFILTER2 being deprecated?

4. Why is the list of capabilities not defined in some header file to help develoeprs?

Appreciate your help in understanding vlc better.

Regards,
Peter