[vlc-devel] report from the Win32 front

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Sun Feb 5 19:13:56 CET 2012

Le 2012-02-05 13:07, Kaarlo Räihä a écrit :
> 2012/2/4 John Freed <john.freed.paris at gmail.com>
>
>> well, I've done some more fairly extensive testing on Fedora and have
>> concluded that there are some fundamental problems. So I'm proposing a wiki
>> page that simply recommends installing VirtualBox and Ubuntu 11.10, then
>> following the directions.
>>
>> It seems the Win32 build page is specifically aimed at Ubuntu. It was
>> noted on this list just recently that even Debian doesn't work -- it
>> doesn't have a recent enough mingw32-runtime (even in testing).
>>
>> Fedora has the right runtime, but its mingw-gcc is built without
>> "--disable-shared", and as a result the final binary is different from the
>> Ubuntu one. Specifically, it needs the libstdc++-6 and libgcc_s_sjlj-1 DLLs
>> to be shipped with the EXE file to work.
>>
>> Fedora also uses Qt 4.8, as I mentioned earlier. That turns out to require
>> only minor patches.
>>
>> Here is what I am considering for the wiki page:
>>
>> 1) State that the recommended approach is to install VirtualBox and Ubuntu
>> 11.10. Give instructions.
>>

> I am planning to do that next weekend (virtual machine + Debian/Ubuntu).
> You want to join forces?
>

>> 2) Next, give a warning. If you want to build on Fedora, you will get a
>> different binary. In particular, this binary will require two extra DLL
>> files: libstdc++-6 and libgcc_s_sjlj-1
>> 3) give the instructions for the Fedora build.
>>
>> I'm wondering if the problem with the --disable-shared might go away with
>> the mingw64, so I'm looking forward to that.

That's a gcc problem so it doesn't change for mingw-w64

Last time I tried to workaround it with libtool I had much pain because
libtool (by design) tries to outsmart us by changing the options we give
to the linker.

IMO we should:
* update the current hack for fedora
* use gcc built with --disable-shared for our releases / NB so people
using our libvlc.dll have no problem