[vlc-devel] [Packagers][CALL] VLC 2.0.0

Gilles Sabourin gilles.sabourin at free.fr
Mon Feb 6 19:07:41 CET 2012

Hello,

You won't be able to compile mozilla plugin on openSUSE 11.4 due to some GTK3 definitions not backported in GTK2 :

vlcplugin_gtk.cpp: In function ‘bool video_expose_handler(GtkWidget*, GdkEvent*, void*)’:
vlcplugin_gtk.cpp:275:49: error: ‘gdk_window_get_width’ was not declared in this scope
vlcplugin_gtk.cpp:276:50: error: ‘gdk_window_get_height’ was not declared in this scope
make[2]: *** [vlcplugin_gtk.lo] Error 1

I know already vlc developper's answer : complaint to your distro maintainer. This is only to warn openSUSE packagers, since there is not really something  to do :
openSUSE mainteners won't do anything for this release, otherwise they will advise you to switch to openSUSE 12.1, which does not exhibit any problem, using GTK3 API.

These definitions seem exist only in :
gtk-3.0/gdk/gdkwindow.h:int           gdk_window_get_width       (GdkWindow       *window);
in openSUSE 11.4, but they exist in both places (gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0) in openSUSE 12.1

Anyway, don't spend to much time on this. I had already problems with gtk 3.0 on another project using libvlc and GTK3 : Freetuxtv, whereas API detection was OK :
I had to switch back to GTK2.0 on openSUSE 11.4, and I got angular appearance like motif interfaces on openSUSE 12.1, with same binary, which is the lesser disadvantage.

I doubt that this is an option here and I think you should force GTK3 requirements with : gtk3 > 3.0.0 in npapi configure check.
openSUSE 12.1 offers GTK 3.2.1 and is OK. You should refine GTK3 best version for most distributions.

Greetings,
Gilles