[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Remove allocine french-only extension

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 7 17:55:10 CET 2012

On 07.02.2012, at 16:51, Sidney Doria wrote:

> In terms of usability, yes, the issue is exactly this.
> However in terms of efficiency, the issue is: why every VLC in all
> countries should load an extension only useful in a few countries?

Just for the sake of smart-assing a bit:

The extension is loaded only in case that a user explicitly opens it through the respective menu. In case, s/he refrains from doing so, it just wastes 16 kilobytes on the user's storage media.

As mentioned by j-b earlier: even if the user doesn't want to or is unable to use it for localization reasons, an included extension raises aware of about the fact that VLC can actually use extensions. That's quite important IMO, although we might want to have a look for an extension with a broader audience for a future release.

Best regards,

Felix